Friday, 10 December 2010

The beginning is always a good place to start...

Coursework’s done (for now anyway), a Crunchie is in hand (it is Friday after all...), and DISradio on in the background (go check it out – non-stop music from, about and inspired by Disney!) – what better way to be spending the afternoon?!

I mentioned in my last post that the next couple of entries are going to be about the interview process, and how I have arrived at this stage – I hope that this will come in handy for anybody who decides to apply for the ICP in the future, but if not, it'll still be good for me to read and reminisce about in years to come when i’m old and crinkled...

Cue twinkly thinking back music, looking into the distance, finger on chin, pensive thought on face

By the way, just want to make clear that isn't actually me in the photo. I'm not old. I'm not a man. And I would NEVER have hair like that...

The applications opened on the YummyJobs website during June of 2010 for the ICP 2011. That seems like so along ago now! This first step was to apply online; you fill in your details, write a bit about yourself, and attach a CV. You are asked right from the get-go why have you decided to apply for the ICP. There’s a question in the application form and it is something you will be asked throughout your interviews too. But I’m pretty sure that if you have taken the time and effort to apply for this program, then you’ll have plenty of good reasons!

I applied early on, and I waited. And waited. And waited! I just wanted to hear something back so much. I received an email around 4 months later informing me that I had been selected for a telephone interview – yay!! The telephone interview was really nothing to worry about – Hannah from YummyJobs was so nice, and it just flew by. It felt like we were just having a chat about uni and stuff, and why I had applied to the program. I was also asked the usual about tattoos and piercings, how I would feel living with people from all over the world, was I prepared for long hours etc etc. The program was explained, and there was also the opportunity to ask questions. To be honest though, I had done so much reading about the college program that I don't think there was anything about the program basics that I didn't know! I do have one tip however....

SMILE!!!

Smiling really comes across in your voice – you’ve applied to do the ICP in WALT DISNEY WORLD (!!) so sound cheerful. They’re looking for happy, chatty people, so make sure you get this across while on the phone.

OK - pep talk over!! I’ll leave it at that for now...

Coming up: the face to face interviews and “THE” email! And all our wishes....will come truuuuue!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Bethan! What job will you be doing at Disney? I'm going down in January for the college program : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa!
    I'll be working on attractions - I'm so excited!!
    What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing Full Service Food & Bev : )

    ReplyDelete