Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Finally catching up...

I'VE ARRIVED!!!

I arrived in Orlando on Sunday afternoon, and things have constantly been just GO, GO, GO since then so apologies for not updating as much as I would have liked!

Everything got off to a good start on Sunday morning - up at 6.30, checked out of the Yotel, caught the monorail over to the North terminal and then bag drop. I was on a roll! I was at bag drop for a while as the gentleman who was serving me saw my address on the ticket and asked how on earth did you pronounce it?! My address is "Senghenydd Street", so we were there for a good 10 mins talking about Welsh words with me trying to get him to pronounce them correctly!

Security was also a breeze - for the first time ever! I always get frisked at security so it was a pleasant surprise to have been let straight through, no bag swabs or anything. I was now sat "air side" and I just knew that this was it - in 2 hours I would be jumping onto a plane to head to Orlando for what was going to be the best summer ever. I was offered vodka tasting in the Duty Free store but with it being around 8am in the morning, I thought best not to... even if I did want to celebrate!

After browsing the store, and doing the cigarette run for friends I met up with the other girls who were flying from Gatwick, making us a nice group of around 12. We all managed to get seats together on the flight - I think that this was the first flight ever that I was actually looking forward to!

The flight was smooth (phew - I'm not a big fan of flying), food was OK and entertainment was good. But after chatting for a couple of hours I felt the flight went by much quicker than I thought it would have. The cabin crew were also ace - service was superb, and they kept dropping by to chat to us as they were so interested in why we were going to Orlando to work for Walt Disney World. We even got a shout-out over the announcement system to wish us luck for the next 3 months which we got everyone cheering and clapping at!

Everything had gone so smoothly this far, and this is where it all changed. Now it was time for the dreaded immigration - dun dun duuuuuuuh!! First off, the queue was absolutely gigantic - there were 100s of people waiting as a couple of flights had all got in around the same time. When we finally got to the counter, all of the visa, and what are your intentions type of questions were asked. I thought it was all going well and that I would go straight through seeing as one ICP-er had breezed through immigration, until the official said to me "would you like to come this way ma'am, we need to verify what you are saying is true!". Noooooo! So I was taken to this little, stuffy room where immigration officials had lost the ability to be polite and to smile. Luckily, it was the same case with a lot of the other ICPers, and before long a large number of us were crammed in this room where we kept getting told off by immigration for talking too much. I swear we were in that room for 2 hours, but finally they started letting us leave one by one. Not a great start, but at least we were allowed into the country! Yay!

I think I may have to leave it at that for the time being - I just have to head over to Vista Way to pick up my training schedules in 20 minutes. Hopefully I'll then find out exactly where I'm working! Back soon, and with pictures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment